The CE-QUAL-W2 Model has been developed by the Water Quality Resources Group linked to Portland State University. DSI developed the pre- and post-processor for CE-QUAL-W2, called W2_Tool. W2_Tool comprises of W2_Control, for setting up the model and W2_Post, for post-processing of the model. Details of these components are outlined below and the package may be downloaded from Portland State after registering.
Capabilities of the CE-QUAL-W2 Model include:
- Longitudinal-vertical hydrodynamics and water quality in stratified and non-stratified systems
- Multiple algae, epiphyton/periphyton, zooplankton, macrophyte, CBOD, and generic water quality groups
- Internal dynamic pipe/culvert model
- Hydraulic structures (weirs, spillways)
- Algorithms including for submerged and 2-way flow over submerged hydraulic structure
- Dynamic shading algorithm based on topographic and vegetative cover.
Capabilities of W2_Control
The W2_Control GUI is able to aid the model user in setting up the Control File and in evaluating and changing the bathymetry of the system. This preprocessor does not automatically set-up the bathymetry of the system, nor does it provide post-processing support. A lot of effort is required to properly set-up the model bathymetry prior to using the Bathymetry editor within W2_Control.
Some of the post-processing capabilities in W2_Post include: